Hi, I’m Kara
My name is Kara Ashley-Gilmore, and I am a Licensed Professional Counselor Associate, Art Therapist, and local mixed-media artist. I help people learn to manage their anxiety and cope with overwhelming and stressful situations. I’ve been there, and spent years of my life struggling with perfectionism, self-doubt, worry, and moments of debilitating panic. I understand anxiety on a level that I couldn’t without living through it. Your experiences will be different, but I want you to know that I’ve been there. I’ve worked my way through it, and I believe you can too.
I use both traditional and contemporary, evidence-based tools to help you accomplish your goals. This is fancy language which means I have the training to back up the methods we’ll use during sessions. Some of it may be familiar to you–like talking about your feelings and experiences–and some may be things you haven’t tried before. I love helping men and women uncover the thinking patterns that are causing their anxiety and preventing them from making progress on their goals. By recognizing these patterns, you will begin to learn how to quiet your inner critic, make healthier choices, and experience greater joy in your life.
I have been working in the mental health field since 2007, combining my knowledge of art materials with techniques from CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy), DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy), Mindfulness-Based practices, ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy), and Trauma and Resiliency models to provide trauma-focused counseling and art therapy. I love learning, and make it a priority to stay on top of new developments in the neuroscience of anxiety and trauma and best practices for treatment.
If you’re ready to get some relief, contact me today to schedule your free 30-minute consultation.
Training & Credentials
- Licensed Professional Counselor Associate in North Carolina (#A10836)
- Master’s in Art Therapy and Creativity Development from Pratt Institute, in Brooklyn, NY
- Under supervision to become a Registered and Board Certified Art Therapist (ATR-BC) with the Art Therapy Credentials Board
- Member of The American Art Therapy Association (AATA)
- Certification in Traumatic Stress Studies from The Trauma Center at JRI in Boston, MA
- Trained in Trauma-Informed Art Therapy, DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy), Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy), and Level 1 Yoga for Trauma and Resiliency.
- Professional Artist in Hendersonville, NC
(For information about my work as an artist, visit www.mountaincreativearts.com/studio)